Call for papers, 1st NRN Global Knowledge Convention, Kathmandu, Nepal, 12-14 October 2018
Dear Scientific Community Members, NRNA ICC Executives, NRNA NCC Presidents, Nepali Diaspora, Experts, and Professionals,
The Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRNA) represents millions of Nepalese residing outside Nepal. It has been an active partner of the Government of Nepal and of Nepali people in advancing the country’s aspirations for socio-economic development since its establishment in 2003. In this context, NRNA is organizing the First NRNA Global Knowledge Convention, in partnership with the Government of Nepal (GoN), in Kathmandu, Nepal on 12-14 October 2018. Nepal’s Education and research institutes, private sectors and various stakeholders are the Convention supporters.
The Convention aims to bring together experts from Nepal, Nepali diaspora and international community to share their experiences and prepare an action plan to help Nepal move towards knowledge-based economy. The Convention is organized in three parts: Inauguration, Plenary and Symposium sessions. The Honorable Prime Minister of Nepal Mr KP Sharma Oli is scheduled to inaugurate the Convention on 12 October. Government ministers, members of the Federal Parliament of Nepal, and high-ranking government officials are also expected to attend the Inauguration session. High profile global experts who have played a key role in the field of science and technology (S&T) development and technology transfer, and made significant contributions to their countries' economic transformation will be invited to deliver talks at the Convention.
The objectives of this Convention are:
- Discuss GoN's science and technology policies, and ways to update them for encouraging global knowledge investment.
- Understand Nepal’s S&T state-of-the-art, and identify knowledge gap in comparison to nation’s developmental aspirations.
- Identify expertise pools in diaspora community, and explore modalities of transfer-ring such expertise to address Nepal’s needs.
- Enhance nation’s confidence by aligning diaspora’s skill, knowledge and innovation to development projects of national priorities.
The Convention will cover the following theme topics:
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Environment Pollution
- Financial Policy and Investment
- Health Education and Policy
- Hydropower, Transportation and Utilities
- New Frontiers in Physical Sciences and Prosperity
- Social Security
- Sustainable Energy Generation
- Technology Transfer and Innovation
Please consult the attached brochure for further details on the theme of Plenary and Symposium Sessions.
The convention organizing committee cordially invites all interested participants and/or contributors to register and submit their abstracts via the convention website (https://www.knowledge-nrna.org). Please submit your contributions to a specific symposium session listed on the abstract submission page. Your papers will be considered for contributed talks or rapid-fire presentations in the symposium sessions, or poster presentation. The deadline for abstract submissions is 31 August. Decisions on acceptance will be made by 15 September.
Please help us spread this news to all interested participants and paper contributors.
We look forward to meeting you all and having a productive discussion during the first ever global knowledge convention in Nepal.
Vice President of Non-Resident Nepali Association
Chair, Conference Organizing Committee
Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRNA)
Nagpokhari Marg, Kathmandu